GLAUCOMA: The Silent Thief
SLT Treatment for GlaucomaGlaucoma is called the “silent thief” because damage is painless, gradual and most often without symptoms. It can slowly steal your eyesight without your even realizing that anything is wrong. Glaucoma is one of the leading cause of blindness and visual impairment in the United States. A simple painless eye exam can detect the disease. With early detection and treatment, glaucoma can usually be controlled and blindness prevented.
WHO’S AT RISK?Glaucoma can affect anyone from newborn infants to the elderly. It has been estimated that up to 3 million Americans have glaucoma. At least half of those people do not know they have it because glaucoma usually has no symptoms. People who are at a greater risk for glaucoma usually have the following conditions:
- At least 45 years old without regular eye exams
- A family history of glaucoma
- Abnormally high eye pressure
- African descent
- Previous eye injury
- Regular, long-term use of cortisone/steroid products
ABOUT SLTSelective Laser Trabeculoplasty (SLT) is an advanced laser system that targets specific cells of the eye — those containing melanin, a natural pigment. Using a special wavelength and energy, the SLT targets these specific cells in the trabecular meshwork (outflow barrier inside your eye), leaving the surrounding tissue intact, and improves the flow of fluid in the eye, thereby lowering your eye pressure.
Your eye pressure may drop as quickly as a day or more after having the SLT procedure. You may be treated with anti-inflammatory eye drops that will be continued after the procedure. There are no incidences of allergy or systemic side effects with SLT. The SLT treatment does not cause pain.
The SLT procedure is reimbursed by Medicare and many other insurance providers, which minimizes your out-of-pocket expenses.
- Safe: SLT is not associated with systemic side effects or the compliance and cost issues of medications.
- Selective: SLT utilizes selective photothermolysis to target only specific cells, leaving the surrounding tissue intact.
- Smart: SLT stimulates the body’s natural mechanisms to enhance outflow of the fluid in your eye.
- Sensible: SLT therapy is reimbursed by Medicare and many other insurance providers, which minimizes your out-of-pocket expenses.